When you think of the town Okeechobee, you might associate small town cattle farms, along with prize bass fishing tournaments on Lake Okeechobee. But what you might not know about are the scenic nature trails, fine dining dives and quaint attractions making this destination a must see.
1. To start the name "Okeechobee" comes from the Seminole Tribe meaning "big water." This huge source of water served the thirst of numerous small Indiana tribes passing through and settling around the land. How interesting to think a body of water that once sufficed a necessity of daily living is now a scenic attraction.
2. The small dive known as Brown Cow Sweetery is a local favorite and top rated spot by many reviews. This café offers fresh sandwiches, a sweet mix of chocolates, ice cream flavors, and a full-service coffee bar. This warm abode is the perfect place to chat with friends while enjoying their famous chicken salad croissant.
3. Looking for something organic? How about Nutmeg's offering homemade plates from soups to quiche. The delectable taste of a warm Cuban sandwich dipped into fresh onion soup will send your taste buds to heaven at this local café.
4. The second largest freshwater lake in the United States, Lake Okeechobee offers undoubtedly the most exciting scenic trail. The 110-mile trail offers great nature sceneries, lively wildlife and vast waterfront views for miles. You can enjoy a relaxing bike ride, stroll with some friends, or hop into the saddle for a horseback ride.
5. More interested in spotting wildlife? Visit Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park. This magnificent prairie is home to fascinating alligators, swift bobcats, and many prancing deer. Enjoy the wondrous sights of a scenic hiking trail or perch with your binoculars to catch some rare birds.
6. If you'd like to see all the nature and wildlife Lake Okeechobee has to offer with the cool breeze of the Florida air in under an hour, Marsh Beast Airboat Tours are your best bet. Snap some photos of abundant wildlife, colorful nature landscapes and prize fish on this adventure excursion.
7. Looking to test your skills at a game of Texas Hold'em? Visit The Seminole Casino in Brighton, a short trip for some fine dining and entertaining slot machine excitement. Grab your friends, put on your best poker face, and head to the betting tables.If you're looking to see some action packed horse bucking and cattle roping The Okeechobee Cattlemen's Rodeo is the event to attend. Experience action packed intense bull riding as the seconds countdown to the buzzer of a successful ride.
8. If you're looking to see some action packed horse bucking and cattle roping The Okeechobee Cattlemen's Rodeo is the event to attend. Experience action packed intense bull riding as the seconds countdown to the buzzer of a successful ride.
Silver Palms RV Resort, a quiet and relaxing getaway, nestled in the small, charming town of Okeechobee, Florida offers these fine activities and more, perfect for any lifestyle. Best said by a local owner at Silver Palms, "If you want to see what Okeechobee has to offer, just open your eyes."
Take your next vacation at Silver Palms RV Resort and you will see why Okeechobee is the perfect destination to call home. Have something you love to do in Okeechobee, Florida that we missed? We would love for you to share them in the comments box below to help new travelers!
Plus, check out our events calendar to stay involved with all of our events on and off-site.