Embark on a romantic San Diego getaway this Valentine’s Day. Celebrate your love by taking advantage of plenty of wonderful outdoor activities or taking some time to enjoy the romantic side of Southern California. From visiting some of the most beautiful wineries, watching the mesmerizing sunsets at the beach, cruising on the water, to romantic waterfront dinners or spa dates, San Diego offers some of the most romantic and special Valentine’s Day experiences. Discover beaches perfect for romantic walks or picnics with the horizon as your backdrop. With 70 miles of splendid coastline, it’s no wonder you can seek to enjoy the spectacular views, excellent tide pools, heavenly sunsets, and sunrises. We have hand-picked some of the best-kept secrets of San Diego when it comes to beaches, special events, and attractions:
- Discover Carlsbad The coast of Carlsbad is composed of small, exposed beaches. The charming town of Carlsbad is an easy walk from the beach with plenty of dining and shopping possibilities. Some of the most interesting activities are the trails at Batiquitos Lagoon, where you can walk by one of the few remaining tidal wetlands on the Southern California coast.
- Solana Beach A scenic and secluded little slice of paradise. Solana Beach is an idyllic location where you can wander and explore the caves carved into the cliffs. Close to the beach you can explore the Cedros Design District, a ravishing neighborhood of more than 85 unique shops, galleries, boutiques, and restaurants.
- La Jolla coastline As we’ve recommended many times before, the views of this jewel are beyond spectacular. The waves and whitewater break onto rocky outcroppings, and you have the opportunity to view seals and sea lions in their natural habitat.
- Encinitas One of the best-hidden gems in San Diego, with white sand beaches, rocky bluffs, and a lively beach town with boutiques shopping, contemporary restaurants, and gardens. The bonfires after dark at Moonlight Beach are the signature activities of Encinitas.
- Point Loma Spectacular views, rich history, incredible tide pools, and marine life. For sweeping views of the Pacific and San Diego’s beautiful skyline visit the Cabrillo National Monument and lighthouse. Also, you are going to have the opportunity to see some of the best in San Diego tide pooling at low tide just below the Cabrillo National Monument.
Furthermore, we have chosen some of the most wonderful experiences in SoCal:
- Valentine’s San Diego Harbor Cruises When it comes to harbor tours, San Diego is the place to go. Choose your preference: from the one-hour cruise which goes underneath the Coronado Bridge and north to Point Loma, to a two-hour cruise trip that includes the full San Diego Bay loop. Enjoy the scenic views and dine at some of the best waterfront spots. https://www.daytrippen.com/
- Feast on chocolate in Escondido Stroll through the beautiful Downtown Escondido and enjoy the “For The Love of Chocolate” Escondido Chocolate Festival. This quaint town offers various designated restaurants, shops, and art galleries while sampling chocolates paired with local fine wine, champagne, craft beer, and spirit tastings. https://visitescondido.com/escondido-chocolate-festival/
- Go on a date in Palm Springs Palm Springs is full of old-school romance. Take your date on a date for a date at the Shields Date Garden in Indio. The garden path winds through our 17-acre date farm. Taste the many different varieties of dates, and make sure to leave room for the award-winning Cafe that plates quality breakfast and lunch items. https://shieldsdategarden.com/
- Dana Wharf Sportfishing & Whale Watching Experience the unique wonders of Dana Point Harbor and the Orange County coastline. The warm waters right out of harbor are flourishing with sea life including whales, dolphins, harbor seals, and California sea lions. Enjoy the view with one of the famous sunsets with the Sunset Whale Watching Cruise on Saturday and Sunday, February 12th & 13th 4:30-6:30 pm. https://danawharf.com/cruises-and-events/
- Valentine’s Day Trip Temecula Valley Temecula is the most popular area of Southern California for wine tasting. There are nearly 40 wineries in the Temecula Valley. With cool coastal breezes making their way up from the Pacific Ocean in nearby San Diego, Temecula provides the optimal climate for outdoor adventure and grape growing. As a result, the Temecula Valley has become southern California’s version of Napa Valley. Several local vendors offer guided wine country tours, and for first-time visitors, this might be your best option. https://www.daytrippen.com/temecula-valley-wine-country-day-trip/ The list goes on, as Southern California has so many incredible experiences to offer. Whatever you decide to do here with your special someone, you won’t regret it – you are going to have a lasting memory of your time here. But the best of all about SoCal is that you can enjoy all it year-round!